Windows 10, all good?

Information on getting your PC to talk to your MoTeC product via RS232, CAN, USB or Ethernet.

Windows 10, all good?

Postby Jonny Rochester on Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:43 pm

I just have a 32bit laptop with Windows 7, and I use the normal MoTeC ECU manager and Motec M400.

Windows wants me to upgrade to Windows 10. Are there any known problems?
Jonny Rochester
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:51 pm
Location: Tasmania

Re: Windows 10, all good?

Postby PEI330Ci on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:17 pm

I would like to know as well.

I'm in the middle of having a custom "shop" PC built and also redo'ing my laptop, both specifically for vehicle management.
PEI330Ci
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Windows 10, all good?

Postby Herrubermensch on Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:06 am

PEI330Ci wrote:I would like to know as well.

I'm in the middle of having a custom "shop" PC built and also redo'ing my laptop, both specifically for vehicle management.


Now you can't just leave us hanging, Adam! Details, details, please!!

--Peter
Herrubermensch
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Windows 10, all good?

Postby SDean on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:10 pm

For our new products, the switch to Windows 10 is ok, however, it appears that there has been a change in how Microsoft deals with the older installers used for our for 32 bit software, such as the Mx00 ECU Manager, in that the installer hangs mid way through the process. We have a workaround for the moment that allows for the software to be installed on a new build (if you have it installed on a windows 7 or 8 box before the upgrade to 10 then there are no issues) whilst the issue is investigated further.

M84 Manger will install normally.

You can use safe mode to install M800 ECU Manager (and other old
software) on Win 10:

1) run msconfig (press windows key, type msconfig, press enter)
2) on the boot tab tick "safe boot" then click OK
3) A system configuration dialog should be shown: click restart.
Alternately manually restart the computer
4) after Windows boots in safe mode install ECU Manager as normal
5) run msconfig and on the boot tab untick "safe boot" then click OK
6) restart in normal mode
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
User avatar
SDean
Site Admin
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:29 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Windows 10, all good?

Postby PEI330Ci on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:57 pm

SDean wrote:For our new products, the switch to Windows 10 is ok, however, it appears that there has been a change in how Microsoft deals with the older installers used for our for 32 bit software, such as the Mx00 ECU Manager, in that the installer hangs mid way through the process. We have a workaround for the moment that allows for the software to be installed on a new build (if you have it installed on a windows 7 or 8 box before the upgrade to 10 then there are no issues) whilst the issue is investigated further.

M84 Manger will install normally.

You can use safe mode to install M800 ECU Manager (and other old
software) on Win 10:

1) run msconfig (press windows key, type msconfig, press enter)
2) on the boot tab tick "safe boot" then click OK
3) A system configuration dialog should be shown: click restart.
Alternately manually restart the computer
4) after Windows boots in safe mode install ECU Manager as normal
5) run msconfig and on the boot tab untick "safe boot" then click OK
6) restart in normal mode


For other's to reference, this is the error message I got trying to install M1 Tune / M1 Build on Windows 10 Home x64:

Image

Following the above instructions, I ended up with the following error message:

Image
PEI330Ci
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Windows 10, all good?

Postby PEI330Ci on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:13 pm

I should add that installing PDM Manager and Dash Manager (For C125) worked fine in normal mode.
PEI330Ci
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Windows 10, all good?

Postby stevieturbo on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Jonny Rochester wrote:I just have a 32bit laptop with Windows 7, and I use the normal MoTeC ECU manager and Motec M400.

Windows wants me to upgrade to Windows 10. Are there any known problems?


If it ain't broke...don't fix it !
stevieturbo
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:32 am

Re: Windows 10, all good?

Postby PEI330Ci on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:53 am

stevieturbo wrote:
Jonny Rochester wrote:I just have a 32bit laptop with Windows 7, and I use the normal MoTeC ECU manager and Motec M400.

Windows wants me to upgrade to Windows 10. Are there any known problems?


If it ain't broke...don't fix it !


Ah...but what if something is broken.

In my case, my laptop's VM didn't support IPV6, which is required to communicate with M1 series and C series dashes.

The new VM required a fresh install of the OS, and Windows 7 is no longer available in licensed form. (I had an IT guy looking for a month while doing a duplicate build for the shop) Windows 8 was not recommended, considering the other programs I run that are fairly heavy on resources.

Having bought 2 licenses of Windows 10 64 bit specifically to run Motec software, I'd like to get this working!

As a side note, I'm told that over 90% of Windows 10 licenses being sold are 64bit.
PEI330Ci
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Windows 10, all good?

Postby PEI330Ci on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:34 pm

I've finally been able to install both M1 Tune and M1 Build.

I downloaded the .exe files from Motec again, and ran the programs from the IE8 browser.

I suspect that the file location previously (In a sub-folder) caused issues; the fresh .exe files were saved to the "downloads" folder and run from there.

Hopefully this helps others.
PEI330Ci
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 am


Return to MoTeC PC Comms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron