Engine Load Normalized in Fuel Table

Support forum for users of the M1 Tune

Engine Load Normalized in Fuel Table

Postby Herrubermensch on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:23 am

Two related questions, arising from considering changing the tune on my BMW S54/M190 from MAP-based to alpha-n:

First, when selecting throttle position as engine load normalized mode and estimate as the inlet manifold pressure mode in the GPR package (as you recommend for engines running ITBs), why doesn't the fuel table utilize engine load normalized on the Y-axis rather than an estimate of inlet manifold pressure? Put differently, it would seem to make more sense when using these settings for ITBs to have a percentage value of engine load normalized (i.e., throttle position) rather than estimated inlet manifold pressure on the Y-axis. This, of course, is how the ignition table is setup, viz., with a percentage value for engine load normalized (i.e., throttle position) on the Y-axis and RPM on the X-axis.

Second, what impact if any is there on the fuel table from changing engine load normalized mode itself? There would seem to be none, and that the principal determinants of how the fuel table works are engine efficiency mode and inlet manifold pressure mode.

Please disabuse where appropriate. Thanks.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Re: Engine Load Normalized in Fuel Table

Postby Herrubermensch on Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:35 am

Nevermind! As further evidence of encroaching insanity, I'll answer my own question!

When setting inlet manifold pressure mode to "estimate" then deactivating the RPM axis in the inlet manifold pressure main estimate table, one can establish a one-to-one relationship between percentage of inlet manifold position to throttle position, making the percentages in the fuel table throttle position percentages. I suppose if one really wanted to make this clear, one could change the name of the axis in M1 Build, but taking these steps effectively allows one to use throttle position percentage as the Y-axis in the fuel table a/k/a the efficiency table.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Return to M1 Tune